Skip to main content

The Surprising Gifts Gleaned from Transitional Times

I offer gratitude to the reader who commented on my last blog.  She wondered if returning to gardening represented a dark shroud being lifted from my life.  This set me to thinking about what these years of transition have truly been for me.  This is such a good time of the yearly sun-cycle to take stock; to ask, ‘What has been growing in the garden of my (or your) soul’?

Here we are looking at the question, what’s an active woman to do when faced with several years of life-altering time on the sofa or moving slowly?  How can she work with a transitional time of having left “then” but not yet arriving at “now”?  Reimagine her life, that’s what!

Having moved from a place of unsurpassing beauty to a place where we created unsurpassing beauty leads me to a deep truth that I had assumed but didn’t know if I believed: Beauty is where you make it.  And much of this beauty lies in the very fact of the making. 

I soon found that I couldn’t do my former work, but didn’t quite know what my new work would be.  So I set to weaving the threads of earlier interests and trainings to make a new way for myself to travel.  The path has been as full of challenges as it is of surprises and a sense of fulfillment.

My process has been to go mining, probing deeply into my thoughts and beliefs, knowing as I went that I always had the ability to re-surface for air when ever the need arose.  It’s a funny thing about mining in one’s soul, the deeper you go; the further you expand when you surface.

And so I unpeeled assumption after long held belief system.  And found myself, still unable to move as freely as I might enjoy, but doing the work of my soul’s calling; the work of supporting myself and others in unfolding and traveling the spiritual path that works for them.  And what an honor this has turned out to be.

Riding the waves between knowing and not-knowing has yielded surprising yet exciting results.  What I have learned is the prize. 

Much of this time has been spent noticing where my impatience butts heads with my patience. I had believed I was a pretty patient person.  After more than half a lifetime working with a sitting practice, I thought I had cultivated patience.  But these past few years have brought me face to face with a deeper reality.  I have an impatient streak as wide as all outdoors. 
Sometimes impatience looks like anger or frustration or confusion.  Sometimes it has offered thoughts of simply running away.  Other times it emerges as humor.  Or relief at being recognized.  And, of course, recognition gives way to balancing impatience with patience.

A second lesson has been the experience of dynamic balance.  Balance, not when standing still, but balance that continually demands attention so that the flow of Life Force moves freely.  I have learned to ask; how do I tend dynamic balance in this breath?  How do I redress ‘the balance’ now?.  In this breath.  And now, in this breath.  For this state of so-called ‘balance’ never stands still, it always requires my attention to remain present to what is.

And, finally, I have been graced with the lesson of….. surprise.  If you have worked with me personally, you may have noticed how frequently I invite ‘surprise’ into our lives, into our imaginations and expanded minds.  I find that when we let go of the desire for an outcome, surprise enters.  Then something new can happen.  And this is the beginning of growth.

This is a brief conversation of some of the gifts that transition has brought into my life.  What gifts have your seasons of transition yielded?



Comments