Skip to main content

New Moon, just past. Plant Your Seeds of Intention


Although the New Moon is just past (it was exactly new at 6:42 p.m. EDT Saturday evening) we are still under its influence.  Consider this the time to set our intention for this cycle.  Sometimes I refer to this as ‘planting our seeds’, as in what do we want to grow in our lives during this moon cycle?

I am partial to the moon as it was She who first called me to spiritual practice.   Also the moon cycle always gives us another chance, another cycle, to glean the life lessons that await us.  Following the moon through her phases we complete cycle after cycle of manifestation. 

The New Moon occurs when the sun and moon are in the same astrological sign.  The moon seems absent from the skies and energetically we hold our breath until it finally reappears like the tiniest crescent.  This is the time to focus on and plant our seeds of intention.  Ask yourself, What do I want to accomplish, understand, or manifest during THIS moon cycle? 
As with all intention work, the more specific, the more likely we will recognize the outcome.  Specific but not concrete; remember to leave space for the unexpected that lends the spice to our lives.

While the moon grows, we do the work.  Paying attention to my desire I notice what I have– and haven’t – done to further my goal.  At the First Quarter I examine my ‘seeds’.  Has anything changed?  Have they begun to germinate? This tells me that I am headed in a helpful direction. 
If nothing much has changed I need to reconsider.  Does this intention continue to reflect my desire?   Perhaps I have new information or my point of view has changed.  Now I can adjust my intention.

By the Full Moon, when the sun and moon are in opposite astrological signs, I notice if my intention has germinated and is growing.  I ask myself, what has changed?   Do I like it?  Now I might celebrate, bringing my work to be blessed by the Moon’s full power and light.  People and their allies throughout the ages dance in ecstasy, literally and metaphorically, in the beauty of the full moon.  I am no exception. 

At the Third Quarter, like the waning moon, I start to pull my energy back in. I know how my seeds of intention have grown. I know if they reflected my true desire or if they were a whim of the moment.
Observe carefully as you consider the outcome of your work.  Remember, the Divine has a sense of humor and, while the outcome of your work may look different that you had supposed, perhaps it actually does reflect your deep heart’s longing.  Expect to be surprised!

This cycle the New Moon has beenca in Leo, that fiery, fixed sign.  Expect your seeds to go through the fires of cleansing, the fires of inspiration, the nurturing fires of the hearth or the fires of destruction that leads the way towards rebirth.  What seeds do you plant during this moon cycle?


Comments