Skip to main content

We Can All Be The Little Duck

THE LITTLE DUCK
Now we are ready to look at something special.
It is a duck riding the ocean a hundred feet beyond the surf,
And he cuddles the swells.
There is a great heaving in the Atlantic,
And he is part of it.
He can rest while the ocean heaves, because he rests in the Atlantic.
He probably doesn’t know how large the Atlantic is.
And neither do you.
But he realises it.
And what does he do, I ask you?  He sits down in it.
He reposes in the immediate as if it is infinity – which it is.
That is religion and the little duck has it.
Donald C. Babcock


Sometimes we can step back and notice that our lives are but a small part of a larger pattern that is somehow removed from our daily doings.  In these moments we recognize that the swells and heavings we contend with, the ebb and flow of our stories, arrange themselves around us while our lives flow on.  The question arises: How can we, like the little duck, stay present to that ‘big picture’, the Atlantic in which we swim?  How can we give ourselves over, surrendering to what IS while we cuddle into the waves of our lives?

The possibility of surrender periodically emerges, its definition changing as I’ve grown.  Moving from a dis-empowered childhood when surrender meant capitulation, feeling ground down under the thumb of authority, I stepped out onto a spiritual path and along with it came the understanding that life is larger than I had realised.  I am connected with all sentient beings, and a story of wonder starts to take shape. Living became about something other than the struggle to keep my metaphorical head above water.  And, like the Little Duck, I, too, had the potential to simply swim in the Atlantic without needing to know how large it is, or how many waves I would be called upon to navigate, or what skills, foresight and luck I would need to keep on swimming.  Simply trusting that the waves could hold me allowed for new possibilities of comfort.

For me, trust and surrender go hand in hand.  Somewhere along the way I learned that by leaning into trust I experienced the relief of surrender.  I learned that I didn’t have to carry it all.  I continue to believe that I have personal responsibility for my choices each moment of each day, but that the actual story is held by some ineffable something which I now call Sacred Essence (see the prayer on the ‘Welcome’ page of my website).   So now my story now goes like this: something larger holds me, and us, while the world continues spinning and the Atlantic continues heaving.  I can surrender to the wisdom that it is All while being held by -something else-….

All of this is to say that our choices matter.  They matter a great deal.  Each moment of each choice is important.  Do we see ourselves as victims in someone else’s story?  Are we co-creators of a new story?  Do we step up into community, rolling up our sleeves for a common vision? 

I suspect that the first step of my moving towards trust was letting go of my expectations about how this situation or that one might unfold.  We’ve all heard the old adage “Expectations are pre-meditated disappointments”.  Once I understood that I got in my own way by wanting a situation to turn out according to my whim of the moment, I could then consider the possibility of stepping back and letting things take their course.  That was about all it took.  Getting out of my own way.  And stepping back to watch the future unfold.

I say this with the gift of hindsight. My style has historically been to attempt to let go, all of the while kicking and screaming my resistance.  But there is reality and there is intention.  My intention is to be like the Little Duck who takes a breath and relaxes into the swells and crashes of life with grace and equanimity.  I seek to recognize that I don’t know how big the Atlantic is, but to trust that it is holding me.





Comments