Skip to main content

My New 3 R’s: Recognizing, Remembering, Returning

Recently I was part of a conversation that focused on ‘how do we define the sacred? ‘  The conversation grew out of an essay by Oren Lyons, Faithkeeper of the Turtle Clan of the Onondaga Nation called Listening to Natural Law.

There were, as you can imagine, as many definitions of the ‘sacred’ as there were people to make them.  But we all seemed to agree that defining the sacred had to do with the relationship we make with the world, in this case the world of ‘natural law’.

So, of course, we wondered about natural law and how to align with it.  The conversation filled the evening but the most interesting part for me were the thoughts I have been musing over ever since. 

It turns out that the questions that interest me is not so much ‘what is sacred’ but ‘how do we remember who we are?’  And then, ‘how do we hone our awareness to stay present with all that life offers?’.  For that, I suspect is the path towards ‘making sacred’ all that our lives touch.

Over the years, like so many others, I have collected many useful tools, techniques and skills to align myself with ever unfolding spiritual beliefs.  These tools are meant to keep us centered and support us along our ‘path’.

But, like most of us, sometimes I get pulled out of my center, away from my core.  I couldn’t count the number of times I have worked the intention to ‘remember who I am’, only to forget it when the going gets tough.  Perhaps a memory emerges that had been deeply buried or maybe I fall into old, outworn habitual thinking or self-talk.  I might interpret someone’s behavior as though I was living in the past rather than the present.  Or I might get caught up in anxiety about what today’s events might mean about tomorrow.

Then, in that moment, I forget who I am.

Eventually I notice that I am no longer present.  I recognize that I stayed behind, caught up in some old story line or the fear of the future.

So I do my practices with diligence and forgive myself when I stray.  This helps me remember who I have become.  And between my practices and the remembering, I call myself back home to myself.  In short I return.


what is true is that over the years of practice I’ve gotten better at it. I notice when I am off-center more easily and quickly than before.  And for each of us stepping more deeply onto our spiritual paths isn’t this a goal? 

Still I wonder if I would ever evolve and remain spot on.  All the time.  Now, spiritual authorities I trust say a resounding ‘NO” to this lofty concept.  I wonder, perhaps seeking that elusive ability to consistently stay centered is just another distraction along the way.

And so I come back around to showing up more effectively in my life.  And using my new “3 R’s”, Recognizing, Remembering and Returning.



Comments