Skip to main content

A Moment of Beauty


“Quick, come and see,” came my partner’s hushed voice in the pre-dawn darkness.  And so I did.

There, on our back deck shone the third quarter moon, coming through of our neighbor’s red maple tree, dappling the deck.  It just about took my breath away.  We stood, wrapped in jackets, shawls and blankets, whatever we grabbed in the moment, and gazed in wonder.  Beauty lay all around us: in the shadowy glow of moon light through tree branches stretching across the late-summer gardens wrapping us in the magic of a fleeting moment.  Soon, the eastern sky lightened nearly imperceptibly.  And as dawn grew, the moon light faded, slowly, ever so slowly

We never know when a moment of beauty might occur.  Frequently it takes us by surprise.  And perhaps that’s part of its power.

I am so grateful to have been bathed in moonlight this morning.  The memory became a touchstone that ran through the day, offering grace my day. 

And then I think, how easy it would have been to miss this beauty entirely.  And how precious it is to take the time to notice.

Comments

  1. Thank you for your beautiful words, Bonnie. By sharing this moment, you have multiplied the beauty... more than either of us can know! (shared on Twitter) A lovely image indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Zoe. May this day be filled with unexpected moments of beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bathing in the moonlight is always such a joy, just to feel the moonlight beaming down in her lovely silver rays splashing on my face and body. In the summer, I quite frequently take a midnight naked swim in my pool. The whole deck and pool can be awash in the moonlight, it can be quite magical. Afterwards, if I'm alone, I will get out and drip dry while saying a prayer to the Moon Goddess while she dries me with her shining love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely, Hayley! The Moon Goddess must be grateful to be honoured by your devotions!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment