Skip to main content

A Surprising Shaman's Journey


I’ve been rehabbing from hip replacement surgery. 
I have always been a very active person who is used to experiencing the world through my body. Understanding the necessity of this surgery was a 2 ½ year journey while I tried to heal myself using a variety of spiritual and healing modalities. 

But circumstances prevailed and in the end I remembered that sometimes and orange is just an orange.  And sometimes allopathic medicine is exactly the solution needed. I bowed to reality and went to the hospital. My new hip and I were back home 2 ½ days later.

So here I have been, moving from surgery to walker to crutches to a single crutch to a cane, all the while wondering when I will be strong enough to walk on my own two legs again. The most heartening part has been those who sent healing energy or visited or helped out, from keeping me company to giving my partner respite from caretaking me. We are so very grateful.

At the recent Full Moon gathering I described these past few weeks.
“In my good moments I view this time as the shaman’s journey, sometimes called a ‘Little Death’; a time set aside from ordinary responsibilities; waiting with as much stillness as I can muster until the ‘rebirth’ unfolds.” 
For me, I imagine the rebirth will be the ability to walk on my own, to garden, to dance.  To reclaim my life and learn what it has become.

Personal issues have arisen, especially about asking for help.  I thought I was pretty skilled at asking for help.  But it turns out there are limits to how much I can ask for, even if I still need it.  And my sense of self worth is tangled up right in the middle of it.  Untangling this knotted set of beliefs has become my work.

Despite my struggle with impatience, healing takes time, diligence and energy. Not necessarily the energy of doing, but the energy of being.  In short, it takes Presence.  This is the same presence as Priestessing a ritual, making art, leading a meeting, or showing up for your friend or for yourself.

We all have between times; times when our old being no longer fits but we have not yet grown into who we will be.  In those times we are each the shaman having a Little Death.  These are the times when, even though we don’t know where we are going or how long it will take to get there, somewhere inside we know that we will arrive.  So we lean into our internal supports or our spiritual practices trusting them to hold us.  In this way we become born anew.

How are you birthing yourself now?

Comments