Skip to main content

Household Deities Aplenty

 I was whirling around the house the other week, both focused and madly whizzing through my To Do list in preparation for leaving on a greatly hoped-for vacation.


Oh! The to-do list was long. 

But it was still November and here in SW Ontario while we had had a few hard frosts, in our protected micro-climate of a yard, there were still a few snapdragons and strawflowers and a splendid out-of-season blue iris. 


I allowed myself to become distracted.

The flowers had called and heeding their call, I cut and arranged them to grace the many household altars and honour our household deities.


As I cut and arranged and placed, I thought about each altar honouring a deity or an aspect of our lives.


Here’s Lakshmi, the Hindu Goddess of abundance in Her place of honour over the fireplace. A small statue of Her stands near one of the doors.


Tara, shows up in both the Buddhist and Hindu pantheon. Another version of Her shows up in Irish stories. She of the Seat of Power. She’s here to cleanse energy entering or leaving the household as well as a reminder to hold our Power lightly and carefully.


Here’s Lupita, a self-possessed Mexican maiden standing proud and tall, surveying the scene. She reminds us to remember all of who we truly can are.


There’s Bridget (Bridhe). She holds us well as we walk through our lives, inspiring us to be truly present in our best selves. But make no mistake, She brooks no fools! When we forget to be our best selves, we just might find ourselves at her forge, getting pushed and pulled, heated and cooled, hammered back into shape!


Hekate is always by my side tapping me on the shoulder, whispering in my ear, reminding me that my process, my choices are important, They must be made with integrity.


Sheela Na Gig graces the doorway into my office (and other places as well) affirming Her role as Creatrix of this world. She helps me remember that I am Creatrix of my world, or at least the ways in which I can relate to my life.


Hotei, the so called Laughing Buddha shows up in places where we can rub His belly and remember the power of Laughter.


We have been working with Inanna since Summer Solstice, following Her journey of connecting with Her power and Her love. Ultimately we followed Her into the Underground where She connected with Her Shadow Lover and became reborn.


Of course, Ganesh-a shows up is tucked into many nooks and crannies of the household. Because you never know when you might get stuck in a corner and need to push through!


There’s Maitraia, a Tibetan Deity of kind regard for, friendship with, oneself.

The Star Goddess plucks the strings of The Peacock God.

The Millennial Gaia who tells the story of evolution inspired on Her body.

Cerridwen’s Sow who suckles the many.

Hygea resides in the bathroom.

Athena presides over my desk where I strategize my future.

Representations of ancient nameless-to-me Deities. And more…



There are many beings who work with us, holding us to our purpose, holding us in Their Love.


As I whirled through the house depositing small vases of flowers, mostly dried ones to see us through the winter, I placed one particularly full vase next to Kuan Yin who presides over the kitchen.


And then I stopped still. Because there She was, laughing at me. Head thrown back, joy exploding from every millimetre of Her sandstone body. And I understood.


Despite all of the representations throughout our household, it is Kuan Yin who presides over our lives. 

Walking through the house, I realize that they is an altar to Her in each and every room. Her generosity and mercy radiates throughout.


She seems amused by the many and varied representation of love, compassion, kindness and mercy that surround us.

Kuan Yin reminds me… 

We are all One.










Comments