Skip to main content

The Gift of Simple Presence

                                                                                                Thich Nhat Hanh

A student in the current cycle of Priestessing Your Life asked, “Is the focus of our work to be completely aware, like ALL of the time?”

While I admitted, there were times, younger times, when I desired total awareness, my personal goals had shifted.  Once I had thought that being always aware of feelings or thoughts, of the motivations and implications of my actions, of the world around lead me to fulfillment.  I had idealistic imaginings that I could support anyone in their journey towards fulfilling their personal potential. 

But I gave up that aspiration in favor of becoming more fully alive to the moment; more available to feeling all sorts of ways, to act impulsively out of joy or sorrow, the vicissitudes of ageing or perhaps be triggered from a childhood memory that lingered in the deep recesses of my psyche.  

I gave it up because I wanted to feel more successful in my life rather than feeling I was always falling short of this unobtainable (at least for me) goal.  I wanted to feel as though I had done my human best to stay present to what IS.  And what a relief it was to allow myself to just ‘be’.

Age and a sense of self-compassion has shifted my aspirations to simpler, more humble goals.  In order to honor my very human-ness I seek only to know myself and bring that sense-of-self to my actions.  I seek to know when I am present at my Core and recognize when I have strayed.  Mostly, I seek to remember who I truly am and that I can return to my core at any time, at the blink of an eye.  Or at the pause for a breath. 

Rather than demand that I always be aware I seek to remember to treat myself tenderly when I fall short.  I focus on the importance of the journey rather than reaching for some imagined attainment. 

This has been my struggle lately.  Too many deaths, personal and cultural, the senseless, the lingering or the sudden, the struggling and the peaceful have stalked my heels triggering memories that had seemed to be long ago healed.  The humility of watching these old wounds come around once again, asking to be healed in a new way, on a new level is my challenge of the season.

I treasure the moments when I can merge with the divine and bring back a spark to fuel daily life.  But even more, I honor the moments when I notice my old patterns emerging and choose to gently bring myself back home to myself; to notice what is present in my body, what can open at my Core and in my heart.  These are moments of true honesty, of unflinchingly gazing into the mirror and choosing awareness in this moment.


This is what I call showing up for myself.  For these moments I am truly grateful.

Comments