Skip to main content

If That Which We Seek…..

If that which we seek we find not within our selves,
We will never find it without…..
                                    (from The Charge of The Goddess,
Doreen Valiente, adapted by Starhawk)

I recently joined a local ‘sangha’ (a meditation community).  The circumstances being remarkable in their synchronicity. 

I had had the thought that I wanted to meditate with others on a regular basis for only a few days when I mentioned it to a group of students celebrating their final gathering.  One of the women knew of such a group.  As luck would have it, they met the very next evening.  And I was invited to join.

My spirituality is a personal mixture of many traditions, including Buddhist roots and Earth-centered, mystery-oriented practices and psychological training with a smattering of cultural Judaism thrown in.  I have been part of several sanghas during the many years I have been a meditator.  Each one has its own ‘personality’.  But one thing I learned from my first formal introduction to meditation practice is this:
As we sit on our cushions, or chairs, we may look as though we are all doing the same thing, but in fact we are each having a unique experience.

So although this particular sangha has a different focus than mine, the philosophical underpinnings turned out to be less important than the actuality of practicing together, sharing the energy and reality of the ups and downs as we journey.  I could in all good conscience add my particular flavor to the very focused community already established. During the rich conversation afterwards it turned out that we each had our own unique ‘take’ on our practices.  Our insight deepening as we shared.

For we each hold a truth of our own being deep within ourselves.  The journey is the process of uncovering that truth.  Much of the time I think that however we get there is just fine.  There is space for individual differences.

I find huge comfort from the words of The Charge of The Goddess, quoted above.  It goes on to say, “For I have been with you from the beginning and I am that which is attained at the end of desire.”  It affirmed that divinity or what-ever-you-call-it resides within us as well as within all beings.  That we are each connected with a deep well of awareness, perhaps by a slender, but incredibly strong shinning thread.

Finding and knowing our thread is the journey.  And what a wondrous journey it is.


P.S. I just love meditating, maybe because it is called a ‘practice’.  This gives me permission to not get it “right”.  I get another chance in the very next breath!

Comments