Skip to main content

Courage and Compassion, companions on our Journey


“Everything is held together with stories: That is all that is holding us together, stories and compassion” Barry Lopez from an interview in Poets and Writers March/April 1994
I am an inveterate used-book junkie.  Anywhere I go I seek out used book stores and can spend hours in them.   I may come away with a treasure or leave satisfied but empty handed.
While visiting a dear friend I noticed for the first time not one but two used bookstores in her neighborhood.  In the second one I found a volume by a favorite author that had as its dedication the Barry Lopez quote that begins this blog.  Like so many tidbits of wisdom, it struck me as both simple and true.  Yes, we all have stories.  Some of our stories chronicle our adventures and are the spice of our lives.  But some others of our stories step in and take over our lives.  Check out the 3-part series I did about Story in February and March of 2014.
Some stories are teaching stories, serving to give us insight into mysteries beyond our understanding.  Other stories give us our history, tell us who we are and where we have come from.  Still others support our culture.  Sometimes they strengthen us or perhaps point out the need for change.
Then there are the stories from our individual past: old habits that we slip into by default rather than recognizing them.  These stories may take over our lives when we aren’t paying attention.  Or creep out of the corners of our self-image and the taste of old pain resurfaces.  These are the stories that require our courage.
And our compassion.
This combination of Courage and Compassion is one of the hallmarks of my point of view in the world.  Recently I facilitated a workshop in which I used these two qualities as part of a deceptively simple breath work exercise (Breathe in Courage, you will need it on your journey of self-awareness.  Breathe out Compassion because you are taking this journey.)
After we worked with this concept for a while, someone spoke up. 
“I don’t understand”, she said “usually we breathe out what we want to get rid of.  I need all of the compassion I can muster for myself!”
I love this question because it brings us to the core of our journeys, our own untapped resilience. 
“Yes,” I replied “Frequently that is the way these kinds of exercises are led.  But I ask you, does it work?
She responded that maybe it helped, for a little while.  But that, no, it never lasted.  Around the circle I saw nods of agreement.  Then I explained that what we take in (with our in-breath) is Life’s gift to us, but what we give out (with our out-breath) is our gift to the world.  So the question becomes, what gift do we want to be able to give?
One of my favorite bits of collected wisdom is, “Imagination is our most powerful tool.”  If we can imagine it we can, within the limits of finite reality, create it.  So if we can imagine ourselves being filled with Courage in each breath, can we imagine ourselves transforming our vulnerabilities into the compassion we so very much want?  As a gift to ourselves, as a gift to the world.
And thus, the world becomes just a little bit more the way we wish it to be.  And our stories transform into stories of possibility and healing.

P.S. sometimes I change it up during breath work exercises.  Sometimes I suggest breathing in compassion and breathing out courage.  Or sometimes i work with gratitude or forgiveness.  Experiment.  What do you need to take in right now?  What can you offer to the world?

Comments