Skip to main content

This is Where I Come From

I come from thunder and lightening,
from the silence at the edge of dawn
from the moaning lovers’ embrace
and the fear deep in their hearts.

I come from the heartbeat of city nights
and the low call of tug boats
easing liners into the harbor.

I come from the click of
high heels on marble
floors,
and the vacant eyes of the
vagrant huddled
homeless
in the doorway.

I come from fragrant 5 a.m. bakeries
and stale 2 a.m. beer joints.
I come from the dairy restaurant with its
white fish and white foods.
And I come from the sharp
smell wafting from barrels of
pickles, olives, roasted red peppers.

I come from pushcarts filling
Sunday morning in Soho,
Saturday morning in Union Square,
Chelsea.

I come from rushing traffic
and taxi drivers, tired and rude,
interested and caring;
from lost tourists wandering
Times Square wondering
why they left home.

I come from tall buildings
graceful and old facing
The Park;
decaying from disinterest
in Harlem, Queens, under 11th Avenue;
gentrifying in the East Village,
Morningside Heights.

I come from the purposeful moving
fast through day upon day.
And I come from the dreamer
idling in the park.

I come from a place presided over
by a Lady
gifted to this city
from a sister city
in
Love.
Where once
wave upon
wave
of immigrants flocked.
The Lady holds high
her light
so those in need
can find
their
way.


This poem appeared last evening as an offering to the city of my birth, New York.  It is a romantic view of the child deeply in love with The City that was. It is also seen through the eyes of one who fled to the country to raise her own children and make her home and who has not visited her birth city in a very long time.

What was once an emblem of welcome that shone out for all to see, our Lady Liberty, has become a lie to the now countless children being held in camps, waiting for the opportunity to come to a land that had once thought of itself as a ‘place of opportunity for all’.

With a heavy heart I now say, “This dream has become a mockery.  As a people we came to believe our public face, never taking care to align our public face with our actions.”


The time for change, on oh so many fronts, is NOW.

Comments