Skip to main content

When Story Takes Over

In previous blogs we looked at some ways that ‘story’ can serve us.  But what happens when the story line takes over? 

We may go about our lives thinking we are here, only to realize we are not.  Perhaps a memory of long ago has taken hold; or an assumption of what we think someone else wants, or even an expectation that we were taught is more important than our own desires.

How do we notice that we are living out our old story?  And once we do notice, how do we reach out for that through line to ground us, to bring us back home?  (See blog post, Stories that Serve Us, Part 2)

Coming home to myself begins when I notice that life has sped up, that there is no time or space for me to reflect on how I feel or what I want. I might not even be able to find a self I can recognize in the picture.  I might notice an ungrounded, floating sensation in my belly or in my feet.  Our bodies are remarkable gauges of how grounded we are … or aren’t.

Perhaps a memory surfaces that upon examination is uncomfortably similar to the story line that is unfolding before me.

Or I might hear myself say with a note of irritation, ‘didn’t I DO this already?’ or ‘just HOW MANY times do I have to learn this same lesson!”  And, of course, the answer is ‘once, but I really have to learn it.’

Once I realize that I am running a story rather than living my life, I take a deep breath and pause.  Already this gives me a sense of relief. 

Then I wrap myself in that (virtual or actual) Cloak of Tenderness I wrote about in January (Cherishing the Now).  All by itself, this gives me the space to sit back and wonder, what story have I been living? 

Sometimes the answer is immediately clear.  Other times I have to wait for clarity.  Sometimes I need more information before understanding emerges.   I might have to check out my assumptions.  Or re-examine beliefs I hold dear.  But throughout the explorations I keep that Cloak of Tenderness close by.  It allows me to be gentle with myself even if I have fallen into the same pit for the umpteenth time.  At least I know that now I am showing up for myself; I have started walking the path back into the Present.  Once back, I can reconnect with my own sacred Presence.

Bringing our Presence into our daily lives is an important piece of our spiritual journey.  How we live our daily lives is our spiritual path.  And taking responsibility for the way we walk that path is one measure of where we are on this magical, mysterious journey.






Comments